Summer might be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean we can’t savor floral elements one last time. For my latest DIY project, I used Darice’s crepe paper streamer to create a set of DIY crepe paper flower place card holders. These beauties are ideal for sprucing up a wedding or end-of-summer bash. The best part is that they are amazingly easy to customize; simply use paint in your favorite color combo for a design that’s all your own. Keep reading to learn how to make them!
- Darice White Crepe Paper Streamer.
- Darice 12 Gauge Aluminum Wire.
- Darice Acrylic Paint Pots.
- Darice 3 in 1 Pliers with Cutter.
- Darice Scissors.
- Darice Paint Brush.
- Pen or Marker.
- Paper Scraps (for name cards).
- Darice Mini Glue Gun.
- Rhinestones, Gems, Buttons, etc. (optional).
- Small Bottle with Smaller Mouth*.
* For wrapping the wire holder in this crepe paper flower project, I used an essential oil bottle. It was the perfect size for creating average-sized place card holders. Because the mouth is smaller in diameter than the rest of the bottle, it was the ideal item for this project. You can use any stiff plastic, metal, or glass cylindrical item or bottle that you have on hand. If you don’t have an essential oil bottle, try a nail polish bottle. Alternatively, you can also use two different separate items.
The rhinestones are totally optional. This is just another way to add depth and dimension to the paper flowers. You can use buttons, flat back studs, or any other embellishments that you have on hand.
Step 7. To make the the DIY crepe paper flower you will accordion fold the crepe paper streamer. For one flower, 4-5 folds should do the trick. The width of each fold will determine the final size of the flower. For this project, each fold was about 2 1/2 inches wide. Regardless of how big or small you make your folds, make sure it is consistent throughout the entire accordion fold.
Step 9. Separate the layers of crepe paper. Apply paint to the edges. Add an accent color, if you’d like. To blend the colors together, use a little extra water. Use less water for more saturated shades.
Step 10. Glue 4-5 crepe paper pieces together, stacking them one on top of the other. All you need is a small dot of hot glue in between each layer. Crumple up the edges to create depth and dimension. At this point, you can hot glue an embellishment to the center.
For another easy floral themed place card holder, check out this rose petal wedding table number idea.
You may also like -
Kirsten is a lifestyle writer and craft book author focusing on DIY, food, health, and creativity. Since 2010, she has been sharing DIY projects at WildAmor.com (formerly Studs & Pearls). In May 2014, Kirsten published her first book, Studs & Pearls: 30 Creative Projects for Customized Fashion; you can find it at Barnes & Noble, Amazon & select independent bookstores. She spends most of her time writing, crafting, traveling, and dreaming up new recipe ideas. Kirsten is a born and raised New Yorker currently living in the Bay Area of California.