The evil eye trend has been going strong, and I’m all about it. You can find it on everything these days… clothes and jewelry, pillows and posters. For my latest DIY project, I decided to combine it with one of my other obsessions: embroidery thread! The result was this statement DIY brooch accessory, made using plastic canvas and completed with tassels and rhinestones. Here’s how to make it.
- Darice #7 White Plastic Mesh Canvas
- Darice Cotton Craft Embroidery Thread
- Cardboard Piece (2 inches wide)
- Darice All-Purpose Craft Scissors
- Darice Hot Glue Gun
- Rhinestone Trim
- Darice Threading Needle
- Darice Pliers
- 10mm Darice Jump Rings (3)
- Darice Nickel-Plated Pin Back
- Stitched Eye Brooch Pattern (Free!) *
* In this pattern, the pink represents white thread.
This will be the center of the eye. Make sure you start a couple inches away from the edge of the canvas, since you’ll still need space to stitch around it.
When you’ve finished a stitch or need more thread, simply tie a knot and snip away the excess.
Hot glue the pin back to the back of the eye.
Tie around the bundle twice, and cut away the excess.