Nothing says “winter” quite like a snow globe. This classic decor piece is perfect for adding a festive touch to your desk, book shelf, or counter top. But why stop there? With a few easy jewelry techniques and a couple of supplies from Darice, you can adorn yourself with a wearable DIY snow globe necklace.
- Darice 3-in-1 Pliers with Cutter.
- Darice Sterling Silver Plated Eye Pins.
- Darice 24-inch Sterling Silver Plated Chain (with clasp).
- Darice Venezia 6mm Crystal Bicone Bead Strand. *
- Darice 6mm Jump Rings.
- Darice Rusted Tin Snowflake Charms.
- Scrap Cardboard.
- Silver Liquid Gilding or Acrylic Paint.
- Paint Brush.
- Darice Glass Bottle Charm with Rubber Stopper.
- Darice White Iridescent Glitter.
* I used teal bicone beads for my DIY snow globe necklace. However, Darice offers a wide variety of colors. Choose one that fits your personality and taste! They have sapphire, aqua, clear crystal, and emerald which all work perfectly for winter. Check out all of the color options right here.
Step 3. Using the cutter portion of the pliers, trim the eye pin, leaving 1/2 inch.
Step 5. If you began with a long eye pin, you may have enough wire leftover to create another link. To do this, create a loop at one end of the wire piece using the pliers. Essentially, this step creates an eye pin.
Step 6. Connect to the first beaded link. Slide on another bead.
You can also simply bring in an entirely new eye pin to the first link and slide on a bead.
Step 7. Trim the wire and leave 1/2 inch. Create a loop. This is exactly what you did in Step 2 and 3.
Step 8. Repeat until you have created a beaded chain link measuring 2-3 inches long.
Step 11. Add one beaded strand to each side. This can be done by opening up the loop at one end of the beaded strand and attaching it to the chain. Don’t forget to close it back up!
Step 13. Close up the bottle charm with the rubber stopper. Connect the ends of the beaded strands with a jump ring and attach the snowflake and bottle charms. Your new festive DIY snow globe necklace is ready to go!
Check out this idea for a terrarium garden necklace that uses the same glass bottle charms that were used in this DIY snow globe necklace tutorial.
You may also like -
Kirsten is a lifestyle writer and craft book author focusing on DIY, food, health, and creativity. Since 2010, she has been sharing DIY projects at WildAmor.com (formerly Studs & Pearls). In May 2014, Kirsten published her first book, Studs & Pearls: 30 Creative Projects for Customized Fashion; you can find it at Barnes & Noble, Amazon & select independent bookstores. She spends most of her time writing, crafting, traveling, and dreaming up new recipe ideas. Kirsten is a born and raised New Yorker currently living in the Bay Area of California.