This Halloween, maybe you don’t feel like wearing a full costume, or you want to wear a tastefully creepy accessory to work. I have just the DIY Halloween accessories for you — delightfully spooky yet frightfully simple Halloween headbands! I have three completely different looks to choose from, whether your taste is demure (a veiled bird’s nest), fun and funky (flying bats and feathers), or creepily over the top (a giant hairy tarantula hat).
First up, the creepiest of all the Halloween accessories: a hairy tarantula headband. This spider headband is super scary, but also incredibly simple to make. It will take you less than five minutes to assemble this arachnofabulous fascinator.
Spider Headband Instructions:
Hot glue spider body to the black headband. I chose to place my spider to the side of the headband to give it a fascinator look.
When hot glue is dry, put headband on and pose the spider to look like it’s standing on your head.
DIY Halloween Accessories #2: Flying Bats & Feathers Headband.
This fun and fanciful fascinator takes a bit longer than the spider headband — by about five minutes! With ten minutes and a few supplies, you can create this flying bat headband that any flapper would be proud to wear to Jay Gatsby’s big Halloween shindig.
You don’t even need glue for this headband, which would make it perfect for a teen girls’ craft session.
- Silver tinsel stems.
- Symmetrical glitter bat stickers (I used Foamies® Pumpkin Patch Glitter Stickers).
- Orange Ostrich Feather Hair Clip.
- Black Ostrich Feather Hair Clip.
Batty Headband Instructions:
1. Wrap three silver tinsel stems around the ribbon-covered headband.
2. Stick a bat sticker to the top of one tinsel stem, then add another bat sticker on the back of the first sticker.
Note: I recommend using symmetrical stickers so that when you stick them front to back, the edges are identical.
Repeat the bat sticker process for all the tinsel stem ends.
3. To complete the headband, clip the two ostrich feather clips to the headband, and you’re done!
DIY Halloween Acessories #3: Bird’s Nest Fascinator.
If you want to make a more demure fashion statement for Halloween, look no further than this sweet bird’s nest fascinator. Customize it however you want, with feathers, flowers, or more birds. Or for a more dramatic statement, use a large crow or owl in the nest.
- Small bird nest.
- Mushroom birds.
- Assorted feathers.
- Tree moss.
- Black glitter tulle netting.
- Flower embellishment.
- Hot glue gun and glue stick.
Bird’s Nest Fascinator Instructions:
1. Cut a length of black tulle and scrunch or pleat one long end together. Glue to headband with hot glue.
2. Glue tree moss into a small nest, then glue birds into next.
3. Glue a few feathers to the top of the netting on the headband.
4. Glue the bird’s nest onto the feathers, then add additional feathers and flower embellishments as needed.
You may also like -
Heather Mann is the mother of four boys and designs and shares clever crafts with a frugal twist at her site Dollar Store Crafts. She’s also fascinated by the unsuccessful (yet humorous) side of crafting, and explores it at her site CraftFail, and in her new book, CraftFail: When Handmade Goes Horribly Wrong.