July is National Independent Retailer Month! This national month is celebrated worldwide and encourages the shop local movement and celebrates indie retailers.
“We encourage people to shop independent retail year round and to use July as a time to celebrate the independent retailers that help build our economy; creating more sustainable cities, towns and communities.
By engaging independent retailer associations, small business organizations and retail thought leaders we aim to demonstrate the importance of shopping independent.” –Independent Retailer Month
Independent Retailers can help educate customers about the importance of this special month in many ways.
Ways to Promote the Shop Local Movement:
- Download the official logo and other valuable resources, like postcards, social media graphics and more from the IndieRetailerMonth website.
- Post on social media regularly throughout the ENTIRE month of July. Follow Independent Retailer Month on Facebook. Their posts usually contain interesting facts about how valuable independent retailers are to their neighborhoods and cities.
- Use the hashtag #indieretail – let’s get this hashtag trending. The more independent retailers that use this hashtag the more traction it will gain!
- Collaborate with your neighbors to promote a shopping event in your area – you know the saying, “there is strength in numbers”. Collaborating with neighbors not only helps educate people in your area about this particular National Month but you’re also helping support and promote each other’s businesses.
- Host an in-store event – Many independent retailers have loyal customers who support local businesses – thank your top 20 customers with a special event or host a special in-store event each week in July where you offer a promotion or discount.
- Use your newsletter to share information about this National Month – add an interesting statistic to help educate your customers:
“Since 1990, big businesses eliminated 4 million jobs, while small businesses added 8 million jobs.” — Small Business Administration
“Local retailers reinvest 130 percent more of their revenues than chain retailers and 676 percent more of their revenues than Amazon.” — 2018 Home Sweet Home: Locals vs. Amazon study
As independent retailers, we spend a lot of time marketing our own businesses and the products we sell but it’s also important to communicate how much value we provide the economy and the communities we’re located in.
This is a month-long event – it’s not too late to start promoting this movement and why everyone should support independent retailers!
Thanks to our business blogger, Kathy Cruz from the Savvy Shopkeeper for today’s post.
You may also like -
Since founding The Salvaged Boutique with her sister in 2013, Kathy watched her passion grow from a fun blog and hobby with her sister on the side of her full-time job, to a thriving brick and mortar home decor store. After running the store for years, she saw the need for an online community where small business owners could find resources. So she took it upon herself to create Savvy Shopkeeper, a blog and online business dedicated to educating, motivating and building a community of shop owners. From a full-time job to full-time entrepreneur, Kathy helps hundreds of store owners and makers navigate store ownership while running a store herself.