Hello friends! I’m Bethany the designer behind Whistle and Ivy, a crochet and craft blog. Maybe it’s just me, but when we hit January 1st, I am pretty much over winter. I’m over the high utility bills, over the driveway slip-and-falls and over the 45 minute prep-time to go outside and play (just so the kids can get tired of it after 10 minutes!). The snow is gorgeous, of course, but, man, I am ready for warmer weather. So this week I am going on strike and making a crochet cactus pattern pillow!
When we briefly lived in Arizona, I was absolutely in love with the huge Saguaro cacti that stood like solitary monoliths in the desert. They were HUGE and I hadn’t seen them in real-life before so I was rather fascinated. And since it’s a balmy 65 degrees in Phoenix today, a place with a high population of Saguaros, I am pretending this cactus pillow will usher in spring, perhaps a tad early this year.
I made this fun summer-loving crochet cactus pattern with All Thing You Super Chunky, a new yarn brought to you by Darice. You have always used Darice for your craft projects, and now they will be offering yarn as well. Yay!
This yarn was perfect for this project. The color of course (swoon!) but it’s very squishy, and the chunky texture made this pillow a very easy and quick evening project. And I love that is 50% wool/ 50% acrylic. It makes it so soft and comfy against my skin.
- Darice All Things You Bulky Yarn (4 skeins Sweet Grass, 1 skein Fleece)
- Darice Crochet Hook (Size P)
- 16 Oz Stuffing
Gauge: 12 sc = 7″
Crochet Cactus Pattern Body: MAKE TWO
Ch 1 does not count as stitch.
1. First, Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Then, Sc 27. Sc 4 in last st. Working across opposite side of ch, sc 28. Turn. (60 sts)
2. Ch 1. Sc 28. 2 sc in next 4 sts. Sc 28. Turn. (64 sts)
3. Ch 1 Sc 28. *Sc. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (68)
4. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 2. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (72)
5. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 3. 2 Sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (76)
6. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 4. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (80)
7. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 5. 2 Sc in next st* Work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (84)
8. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 6. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn (88)
9. Ch 1. Sc 28. *Sc 7. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 28. Turn. (92)
Turn so the round end is to the left. Start 15 sts in from the flat end. Join yarn.
1. Ch 1. Sc 8. Turn. (8)
2. – 9. Ch 1. Sc 8. Turn. (8 sts)
10. Ch 1. Sc 6. Sc2tog. (7 sts) Turn.
11. Ch 1. S2tog. Sc 5. (6 sts).
12. Sc 2 more in last st. Turn 90 degrees counter-clockwise. You will be working across the side of the arm you just made to make the shape go upwards. Sc 6. Turn.
Flip your piece and orient it so the arm is at the bottom and the round part is to the left. Join yarn 9 sts in from the flat side. Repeat arm instructions.
Optional: You can add some “spines” by trying bits of yarn on the front piece of the cactus. Be sure to do this before you sew the two pieces together. Cut several strips of Fleece yarn. Pull one end through and tie a double knot (similar to tying a quilt). Once they are all tied, you can trim them down a bit. It looks a bit messy when they are long.
From here, you can sew the pillow together by sc all around the edge (start anywhere). Stuff the pillow once it’s mostly sewn together. Do not over stuff or it will show through! Weave in your ends and enjoy your new crochet cactus pattern pillow!