Is one of your resolutions for the new year to read more books? It’s one of mine! And since, when you set a resolution to go the the gym you’re gonna need cute workout clothes, it stands to reason that if you set a resolution to read more books you’re gonna need a cute bookmark. So, in the interest of self improvement (and cuteness), today we’re making one! This fun stitched bookmark tutorial is made with plastic canvas which makes a perfect foundation for needlepoint and embroidery projects.
Plastic canvas bookmark tutorial supplies:
- Darice Plastic Canvas Crosses
- Lily Sugar ‘N Cream Yarn in
- Darice Plastic Canvas Needles
1. Cut your canvas to the correct shape. These cross-shaped ones are the perfect bookmark size once you cut off either end of the cross with scissors along the long edge of the cross.
2. Thread your needle and begin stitching your designs. For one of them I went across the bookmark in colorblocked sections, in the other I got a little fancier with an aztec design. You can find lots of inspiration for stitching on plastic canvas on Pinterest (I based my aztec design off of these bracelets that were stitched on plastic canvas). I didn’t do any special stitches, just a basic backstitch.
3. Once you have finished a section of one color of yarn, tuck the end of the yarn through the stitches to hide it.
4. Once you have stitched your design on your canvas, make a tassel. Wrap some yarn around a piece of cardboard several times. Cut one end of the yard and carefully remove the yarn bundle from the cardboard.
5. Cut a piece of string and tie a knot around the middle of the bundle. Then, cut another piece of string in a contrasting color and tie it around the top of the yarn bundle about 1 inch from the other tied portion. Tie in a knot to secure. Cut the end of the tassel to make the yarn even and it shorten it to your desired size.
6. Using the remaining string at the top of the bundle, tie the tassel to one of the holes of the plastic canvas. Cut any excess yarn to remove.
You may also like -
The Pretty Life Girls is a blog about babies and sugar and paint and twirly dresses, written by two sisters, Liz + Sam, who love all things pretty.