With this project you can create a colorful and fun kaleidoscope out of a plastic push pop! Just choose your favorite paper, beads and gemz strips to make it your own! Any small assortment of colored, transparent items will work for this project.
- Push Pop 6pc
- Plastic Mirror 6” x 9” sheet
- PVC Jewelry Card
- Glitter Core’dinations paper of choice or Core’dinations Glitter Silk Multi Pack
- Gemz Strips of choice
- Bingo Chips
- Asst. Plastic Novelty Beads
- Transparent Asst. Seed Beads
- Diamond ice of choice
- EK Success 1 ¾” paper punch
- 5/16” Darice Hole Punch (purple handle)
- Hercules Tape
- Scotch Tape
- Tacky Glue
- Cut mirror sheet into three 2 ½”x 1 ½” rectangles. (*You can get 8 pieces from one mirror sheet) These pieces will form the triangular prism that will be inserted into the body of the push-pop.
- Lay pieces next to each other, face down and scotch tape edges together (refer to image).
- Peel off protective covering on mirror pieces. Fold the other 2 edges together to create a triangular shape and secure with another piece of tape.
- Open Push-pop container and remove plunger. Insert prism into tube (It should fit snuggly).
- Punch a 1 ¾” circle out of a dark colored piece of cardstock. Punch a 5/16” hole into the center of this circle. This will be the viewing disk.
- Run a thin line of glue around the viewing end of the tube and the inner eye hole. Set the viewing disk on top and let dry.
- Use Hercules tape to attach cardstock around outside of tube and decorate as desired.
- Punch a 1 ¾” circle out of the clear, plastic jewelry card and set circle inside tube just on top of the prism (this circle should also have a close fit).
- Set dome lid on table and loosely fill with any small assortment of colored, transparent beads, diamonds etc. Items must be able to move around inside dome.
- Align tube with dome cap and snap back onto tube. Be sure to fully secure dome lid.
- Hold Kaleidoscope up to light source and rotate to create a colorful display!
Project designed by Sarah Stralka